Wednesday, February 10, 2010

corner view - repurposed



remember this white frame? these days it serves as an earring holder on my bedside table. it might return to it's original purpose at some point, but this makes sense right now. and it looks pretty.

and since we are visiting my bedside table, then let me tell you how much i look forward to read the sorrows of an american by siri hustvedt, and eat, pray, love by elizabeth gilbert. both received in the mail just a few days ago. but right now i am diggin' into the stories in unaccustomed earth by jhumpa lahiri.

i have had the leonard cohen book, beautiful losers, waiting for a while. i wanted to re-read it after the concert back in september, but so far it's only been a few pages randomly chosen. i also enjoyed the man with the dancing eyes by sophie dahl, but mainly because of the drawings by annie morris. to be honest the story wasn't really my cup of tea, but the words were pretty (probably not making sense, but that's how i felt after reading it). but this wasn't what i was supposed to write about right now, so let's get back on track, shall we?



this wooden box. (technically not in my house, but right outside, so it made its way into this post.)

i have a thing with old wood, and one day i saw three wooden boxes down the road. D met the people at the house where they were piled up, who then gave them to D. i got all excited. that was, until D asked if, hey, did i know what these boxes used to be? nope, i didn't, something special? oh yes, something special indeed. these wooden boxes used to contain missiles. and they are empty now. looking at them made me wonder what ever happened to the missiles that once were inside.

it made me sad, and i left them standing for a while. didn't know if i really wanted to look at them in my garden. but i decided to use them for plants and herbs. to change their purpose and make good use of them.

feel free to hum blowing in the wind now and call me a naive daydreamer, but now i look at them and hope, that one day, boxes like this will only be made for a good purpose. (and hey, i am not taking the easy way out: being a naive daydreamer in israel takes hard work and constant care).

--------------------------------

for more good use of things that used to be used for something else, go visit jane of spain daily.

34 comments:

  1. love that repurposed frame! hope i'll get round to get on the wagon again for corner view later today. at the moment the battery in my camera is flat...

    and kudos to you for repurposing those boxes. it's probably one of the best things you could have done with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i wish you were going to wright a novell....
    boy! that would be good...

    happy day
    has mum arrived yet?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ah, Trinsch, it's good to be a dreamer and out of dreams can come good things and positive change. we've gotta believe that haven't we?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful idea! What a beautiful thought, that something rather evil turns into life and beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. that must take more than bloody hard work and constant care, honey. I know I couldn't do it but swiftly moving on... LOVE THE BOX. is it basil I smell?

    I also totally totally dig the earring frame. I use vitra's algae for my necklaces (only they're not up yet. in a box. somewhere up in the attic.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That little frame is lovely with the flower on the side. Great idea with the missle boxes - a much better life for them filled with basil. You did them proud.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The frame is an excellent idea for earrings, and the missile box, is better as a plant box.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So pretty!
    and love your bookchoice, cohen, dahl, ... and wooden boxes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. beautiful wooden box ... I wish I could have one for my balcony !!

    ReplyDelete
  11. love your approach towards daydreaming - you go girl :-) PS: love the frame too.. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is how old wood should be used. You did a beautiful thing Trinsch and I appreciate your open heart...
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. You did something good.
    I also like the frame for earrings.
    And the book , Eat, pray, love, is excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You know i love wooden boxes !!! Have a great week ; )

    ReplyDelete
  15. I say, your creativity is endless! The earrings in the empty frame are the prettiest and most artistic thing I've seen. And I believe that good can always grow out of bad. Especially, when that good is basil in February, a big little miracle!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love how what you did with these boxes and the symbolic behind the full circle of these boxes- they once held things to take life (sad) and now hold things that gives life (joy). Nice my friend!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. you are... so strong. to keep a box like that in front of your eyes. This 2nd life is so beautiful. Life instead of death. Wow

    ReplyDelete
  18. great ideas, i completely forgot about corner view this week...oops :]

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful bedside table! Ahhh, I read Unaccustomed Earth last year (one of the few!). I liked it very much, but it was not a happy book at all! It left me blue...

    ReplyDelete
  20. what a beautiful blog! and i liked this post very much. i can so relate to your thinking, about your wooden box, the missiles, this bleeding country...
    happy i found my way here, thanks for leaving a comment on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  21. good post... weird world we live in..
    Glad you planted the herbs. would have taken me ages to do that..
    Did you see the video of a talk of Elizabeth Gilbert by the way? very good. search her name at TED talks.
    take care,

    ReplyDelete
  22. that´s the way to do it!
    well done!
    hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  23. THere is great symbolism in making something grow from something that was once used for destruction. Good for you.

    I love Jhumpa Lahiri's writing, and I very much enjoyed Eat, Pray, Love as well. Reading the Piano Teacher right now, which is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  24. wow - what a box! that reminded me that I have a wooden plank downstairs that I found in new mexico. it was the side of a covered wagon and had been left behind over a hundred years before. i keep it, waiting to see what i want to do with it.

    the photo frame/earrings is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh, this is wonderful!! I LOVE your frame idea and especially love that (what I'm guessing is) vintage flower pin!! Darling!! The box with the weathered wood and green makes for a beautiful picture!

    Happy Day!

    ReplyDelete
  26. wow, I love that repurposed frame! Such a good idea:)

    ReplyDelete
  27. i love how you think! you rock girlfriend!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I know this feeling of anticipating reading a book, i have a few that i want to read and each time i have to choose which to take first :) i hope you'll like "Eat. Pray. Love" - i loved it!!!! i also wrote about it in my blog, so inspired i was by it... enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Lets hope they are used only as antiques...
    I feel that objects do store some energy from past uses but that your re-purposing of them will change the energy and help the Earth. Heal.
    I adore Leonard Cohen. He is beautiful.
    xo
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete